Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Scientists at Work

This quarter, we have been studying classification in science. One important aspect of classification is being able to have a well trained eye to identify slight differences between specimens. The past two days students have engaged in an activity called Spot the Difference which I picked up from GMRI's website. On Monday, we took a look at plant samples, and today, we compared crab samples. Today, we additionally began a discussion about native vs. invasive species, and the idea of competition.












Here's what kids had to say about Spot the Difference:

"I liked it because it was a little bit of competition, and we were outside, and it was pretty creative. It was like a game, Spot It, that I know." - Drew M.

"It was a good way to help me spot similarities and differences with nature." - Debra E.

"I liked it because it was different form other things that I have played." - Sirus A.


I think the kids additionally appreciated that there was a little playtime after we were done!

Fort