I hope your children have a happy and fulfilling summer. I always like to encourage reading so they can keep up with their skills.
This week I read the first chapter (or a little more) of a few books to pique their interest in some books I've enjoyed.
*Three Times Lucky
*The Luck Uglies
*The Phantom Tollbooth
Other books I've recently enjoyed:
*Walk Two Moons
*Out of My Mind
*Bridge to Terabithia
*The Giver
*Stargirl
*Wringer
The Mustard Seed bookstore keeps a current selection of popular titles for children, including a section of Maine Student Book Award books. Patten Free Library also has an amazing children's wing and would be able to provide your child assistance in selecting an appropriate book for his/her interests and abilities.
This graphic provides a good visual for why it is important not to skip out on independent reading during the school year; however, I feel it could support why reading over the summer is not only a good choice, but a necessary one in keeping skills sharp.
May your summers be filled with fun, sun, and good books!!!
